Wednesday, May 13, 2009

ReadFest

Do you ever start reading a book that you love so much, you just need to keep reading it so you can get on with your life? But at the same time, you just don't want it to end? I gave The Help by Kathryn Stockett to my mom for Mother's Day, but made the mistake of starting to read it in the car as we were going to see her (no, I wasn't driving). So, she gets it second. She understands (she's my mom after all).

The book is an amazing tale told from the perspective of two black maids working in white households in the early 1960s with the help of one ambitious, newly graduated, college student eager to tell their stories. Read the New York Times review here.

I can't write any more right now, I have to go read!

4 comments:

annechovie said...

Sounds really interesting, Heather! Have a great day!

Carolyne said...

That's sounds like a gripping read...no wonder you didn't want to give it up!

Anonymous said...

I read this too and it was the same for me. It's not something I would have picked on my own, I did a review but after the second chapter, I was hooked.
It took me awhile to get used to their "voices" but once I did, I felt as though I knew these women.

casapinka said...

wow, thanks - will have to read this.