Friday, March 13, 2009

Happy Go Lucky

Holly from Decor8, as part of her "creativity series" has written a great post on "developing a sense of humor" to inspire creativity. Her post immediately reminded me of a movie called "Happy Go Lucky" from Academy Award Nominee Mike Leigh that I saw last fall. Although I didn't love the movie when it started, by the end, I was hooked, and it really resonated with me. It's about a woman named Poppy (played by Sally Hawkins) who, despite the many ups and downs in her life, remains truly, deeply, happy, and yet very caring about others. She is not flip, or shallow. Just, simply happy.

Maintaining this sense of happiness in everyday life is a lot tougher than it seems, and I've found myself thinking back to this movie many times. Given the doom and gloom on the news, and the economy affecting not just my family, but soooo many other people, it can be very hard to remember that life IS short. Having a ONE YEAR OLD, and having lost my father to cancer too soon are two very good reminders for me that the time goes by very quickly and can't be taken back. I try to say to myself...despite all the difficulties I've been faced with...just to start with the moment and be happy in it. Jake is growing up quickly, and I don't want to miss a second of the joy that he is, and that I am helping to create. I deserve it, and most importantly, so does he.

No comments: