Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Progress?

Remember how excited I was that the handyman was coming? Well, my excitement has waned somewhat due to the discovery that one small side of our house is rotting. Gross. I'm glad the handyman discovered it (silly me, I thought the hole in the house was due to a wood-pecker!). The whole thing needs to be re-sided, and a new window is on it's way from wherever it is that windows come from. SO...so far, nothing "fun" has been done to the house as part of my "fall resolutions"

Part of what I'd like to do, is organize our front entryway. We need to have some storage for the piles of shoes and stuff that tends to conglomerate there. I love the idea of having some built-in storage, and the handy handyman has assured me we can do this once we resolve the more important house rot issue.

I was motivated to find some inspirational photos for what I have in mind after coming across Erin of The Perfect Sentiment's blog post yesterday. Here are some of my favorites...

This is perfect! I love the cute fabric on the bench which makes it more pretty than just a storage space filled with "stuff". I think I'd move the top storage area UNDER the bench though to get it out of view a bit more.

(Image via PSErin)

Love the amount of storage that this space offers, but I'm not sure we have the space for it:

(Image via PSErin)

In a simpler, clutter-free life (which is not mine!), this is a nice, neutral relaxing look:  

First published in: Ideal Home, July 2009


My husband, who prefers a more modern look and loves "floating shelves" would like this option. So would Jake because he could throw stuff off those shelves (which is why this option, lovely as it is, is not for us!):

First published in: Living Etc, April 2009


So pretty! Love the pink phone!:

(First published in: Country Homes & Interiors, April 2009)


There is an incessantly LOUD bird chirping just outside Jake's window which means he will wake up in about three minutes, thus ending all further posting on entryway storage!

6 comments:

jacqueline said...

These storage space are so fun and lovely! Thanks for sharing! Have a lovely merry happy day and love to yoU!

PS~Erin said...

Oh, how exciting! (Not the rotting part, but the handyman and the potential mudroom-ish space.)

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

Sorry to hear about the rotting on the side of the house. Not fun news! But I would love a mudroom type area as well.

I think you picked some great sources of inspiration!

Nancy said...

A house can be a money pit. We remodeled a house in Cooperstown, NY. The second floor windows had been installed improperly and everything around the windows was rotten. If my children had leaned on the windows everything would have crashed to the ground!

Meredith Nelson Photography said...

bummer about the rot. ugh. I too need storage soltutions for my front entry. Rihgt now..its not so pretty. Plus, we are lacking space for something elaborate...

Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

These are great entryway storage options! The console table in the last photo is perfect!

xo,
cristin