Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Brown Bear "Puppets"


At the daycare Jake goes to he is completely smitten with the brown bear "puppets" which are actually little stuffed animals that adhere to a felt board. And, apparently, there's a glove involved somehow, but I haven't quite figured out what he's talking about.

Anyway...if the brown bear "puppets" are not available when he gets dropped off, life is not happy. So, I decided to make a set for home, and an additional set for his class at daycare. I surprised it with him last week, and he was just overcome with glee. He insisted on taking the "puppets" to bed. When I checked in on him before I went to bed, he had fallen asleep surrounded by his new friends, with the light on.

This is what I found:


Here's how I made it...
1.) I used a bulletin board from Target, and cut blue felt to size. I glued down the felt thoroughly (this is important because the "puppets" are adhered to the felt board using velcro which is a little rough on the felt)

2.) I glued the "children" fabric along the bottom.

3.) I then glued the grosgrain ribbon (purchased at Michael's) along the edges.

4.) I cut out the animal shapes out of this fabric, and used this fabric as a backing. I sewed the front to the back, leaving a little opening so I could insert the stuffing.

5.) I then stuffed the little critters, and hand sewed the remaining edges together (not my neatest work, but this project was bigger than I thought, and I figured the audience wasn't picky!)

6.) Last step, glue little pieces of velco on the back, let dry and voila!

P.S. Wouldn't you just be mortified if someone took a photo of you sleeping and posted it on a blog? I probably shouldn't do this, but he's just so darn cute!

1 comment:

Melinda said...

fabulous! so cute!