Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Martha's Gamecock Cottage



My sister gave me this adorable painting for Christmas. It is of the historic Gamecock Cottage which is located near the house I grew up in on the north shore of Long Island. It was built around 1864, and has been an aviary, a boat house, and a summer cottage. It is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places and it is located at the end of West Meadow Beach peninsula.

She painted it in one of her new styles that she started using for her Hello Cape Cod , and Hello Boston books. It now sits proudly in our playroom! I love it, and it's a great reminder of where we grew up.

5 comments:

Melinda said...

adorable! but I hope the real Gamecock cottage doesn't end up under water...it looks precariously close to getting swamped!
and yes, your sister is incredible! :)

Unknown said...

What a beautiful cottage and painting.

Minnie said...

I love that painting. It's perfect for a playroom. What a great memento of your childhood that you can pass on to Jake.

Minnie said...

I love that painting. it's perfect for a playroom. What a wonderful memento of your childhood that you can pass on to Jake.

Mary Ann said...

i just stumbled upon your blog and i would love to have a job like yours, always surrounded with creative people... i will be checking the rest of your blog and i am sure i will enjoy it! verbena cottage