Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A less tiny house


OK, so maybe the tiny houses I posted about were a little too tiny for most. I think I made my husband nervous that we might actually be moving into one. BUT, what about this slightly LESS tiny house in southern California which is absolutely adorable, and dreamy to perfection thanks to the design work of Krista Ewart? I first came across in on Cristin's blog, The Simplified Bee, and then had to check out more of the gorgeous photos from House Beautiful where it was originally shown.


This house I could live in. And, because it's smaller, you could choose (like they did), some more costly designer touches (like the Hable Construction fabric used on the couch and pillows, the Whales wallpaper by Walnut Wallpaper used in the child's room, and Jonathan Adler zebra rug). After living in small NYC apartments for over 15 years, I can tell you it's about managing STUFF. You have to really like what you have. I used to judge my purchases less by price and more if they warranted the closet space they were going to take up.




Did I mention we have several dead-ish looking trees surrounding our house? With the weather we had last year and the crazy amount of trees that have fell all over the place (and on people's houses), we're going to have to have them taken down sooner rather than later. I shudder at what this is going to cost. As much as I love our backyard, imagine the savings if it was this size:


Incidentally, in looking over smaller houses and simplified living yesterday, I came across this interesting article about a couple who gave up much of their belongings to live a simple life in a 400 square foot apartment.

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

I LOVE this house and I really love this article. I have so much to say on this subject after majorly downsizing (two suitcases!) and moving to Europe. We live on much less and I find myself much happier. No cars or traffic! People here are less about 'keeping up with the Joneses' and life is at a more leisurely pace where people stop and enjoy themselves. Now, 400 sf is probably too small for me, I'll admit, but kudos to this couple!

Anonymous said...

Hi H. - I am, as you know, downsizing. Once every thing from my really big house is put away - I will be loving the new situation. Actually I love it now. I'm pretty mess tolerant. Anyway, I love your blog, and these little houses. By the way - I think Jake already has two of the Elmos he really wants. What does he really want now??? xo

→lisa said...

What a cute place! The open ceiling space with exposed rafters really help to make the living room look and feel larger. Imagine that same room but with a standard low, flat ceiling.

I live in Manhattan in a comparatively large (for NYC) apartment -- just under 1000 sq ft. One thing I've learned is that if I have the space, I *will* fill it, probably with junk I don't need. The idea of purging and living with less is appealing, but it's hard to implement, especially when it's not just *my* stuff that's clogging up the works.